Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sweet Potato Frittata

Do you ever get the notion when you wake up that today will be the PERFECT day to make ______? After hearing it rain all night, and waking up to gray skies and spitting rain I just felt like it was a frittata day. Having never made an official frittata before, I started with research. I looked on Foodgawker for recipes and read about two dozen of them. Once I had an idea of the basic how-to and proportions, I set to work.
Right now, I'm staying with my first cousin once removed (let's call him M), his wife (let's call her E), and their almost two year old daughter (let's call her D). So E suggested I used the sweet potato we had laying around, before she ran off to a toddler's group with D. And so, Sweet Potato Frittata it was...

What you'll need:

One large potato
One medium sweet potato
One medium/small onion, depending on preference
About one cup of spinach, again, a preference measure
One clove of garlic
About a cup of chopped broccoli
One teaspoon Thyme
6-7 eggs
One cup grated cheddar. Any cheese would work, but it was all I had on hand
Splash of milk
Pepper and salt to taste. I also used a Mixed Spice of cardamom, caraway, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.

Preheat oven to 200 degrees C

I started by chopping the sweet potato into centimeter cubes and putting them in a saucepan, with water just covering them, to soften. I cooked them on high, but I was in a rush.
The onion was cut into centimeter squares and caramelized over a medium burner with the garlic. After they are soft and translucent, add the chopped spinach. I cut the leaves into rough quarters.
I sliced the potato into 3-4 millimeter discs and then cut those in half to make semi-circles which I then soften as I had done to the sweet potato.
Prepare the broccoli the same way as the potatoes, cooking until ALMOST soft enough to cut with a wooden spoon.
I sprinkled the thyme and Mixed Spice on to softened sweet potatoes and combined them with the rest of the prepared veggies and half of the cheese in a low ceramic buttered baking dish.
Whisk the eggs with the milk and a dash of pepper, and pour over the veggies. Sprinkle half of the remaining cheese on the egg and cook for around 30 minutes.
Check the egg with a toothpick or knife and when it's almost done, add the rest of
the cheese on top and wait for it to melt in.
Serve warm, alone or with anything you think it should be served with.

No comments:

Post a Comment